Jeep First Year

Friday, August 28, 2009

Dashing Dashes

Here is the current dash, I am giving it a face lift since I have put so much work into everything else.




Here are the gauges I have bought:

Vaccum:


Oil Pressure:


Water Temp:


Voltage:


Fuel Level:


Speedometer:


Tachometer:


Clock:


Here is a switch to control the brake solenoid:




I am going to set the gauges in a a satin black diamond plate dash. I need to figure out how I am going to be placing the gauges, switches, and indicator lights in the dash. It is a big design task and I think I am up for it.

I have done some footwork to see what others have done:
http://www.manoian.net/jeep/custom_dash.html

http://media.photobucket.com/image/jeep%20dash%20cj5/silvergoat_photo/oldwheelinpics008.jpg

Look at the pictures in this thread (there are 4 pages):
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/custom-dash-ideas-659008/

And here are some of my own personal designs (right now I am focusing on the gauge cluster). I definitely want a removable switch panel where all the indicator lights and such will be. That way it is easy to add new controls. I am not sure where to put the clock, whether or not I want the gauges angled towards the driver, what I should do about a glove box, lock box, stereo (I am kicking around some ideas). Oh, and ignore the skull thing. The thing above the skull is the grab bar.

V1:

V2:

V3:

Here is my most recent design. I am going with smaller speakers, and am thinking about putting the clock by the steering wheel. There will also be a monster glovebox, which will house the stereo receiver, a CB, and just a general storage compartment. I am thinking the stereo/cb area will need a door that is easy to use and can stay open while driving. A rack and pinion type linear drive operating a sliding door would be awesome. I do like the smaller speakers.

V4:


Here is the plan. Continue piecing together the jeep. Get the pedals, steering wheel and driver's seat installed. Then make a cardboard dash and pretend to drive and operate controls. Mark where stuff should go with a sharpie. Make modifications with a different color. Update design. Fabricate. Paint. Install.

Also, I am open to your ideas and suggestions.