Jeep First Year

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Outboarded Spring Hangers III

Today I worked on fabricating the front section for the shackle reversal for the outboarded springs. All the steel pictured here is 1/4" wall, see my previous post for the design of the front of this system.

I wanted just enough room in this so I would have a very tight fit with the 2" square tubing, I got greedy with getting a good surface that I ended up a hair too big. Actually, I ended up 4 hairs too big, since a hair is around 0.0025"

Square slot machined out for the cross member.

Here are some measurements and how the piece should look when done.

Showing the neice/nephew how calipers work and how we do old-school milling.

The kids helped me count turns to cut an additional 0.193" inches out.

Testing the fit of the parts.

Here is the white board with some of the figuring and measurements.

See the next post for the almost finished product...