Jeep First Year

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Outboarded Spring Hangers IV

In the last post I detailed the making and measure of some of the parts for the outboarded springs.

Here is the front shackle reversal assembly mocked up, clamped up and measured for fitment. I then pulled it apart and gave all the surfaces to be welded a very good grind and cleaned them with alcohol.

I then got to welding on the assembly.

I left my alcohol-soaked cloth on my welding table. My photographer was very excited about this fire. I beat on it with my gloves with no success so I grabbed the burning ball, crumpled it up and put it under a steel plate on the floor.

Me trying to beat out the blaze. Not the first time this has happened I need to remember to put my alcohol rag somewhere other than my welding table.

After that minor disruption, back to welding.

Here are a few shots of the front member clamped up.

Close up of my welds, judgment ensues...

Now I have to cut out some pieces of 1/4" plate for the gussets to support the large angle iron, six total right isosceles triangles. I also have to fab up some plates which will also tie this assembly into the the original spring hanger mounting holes. This will allow for a total of 20 bolts (4x5/8", 10x1/2", and 6x3/8", all gr8 of course) securing the assembly to the frame. This assembly will be over-engineered beyond my expectations because so much is riding on it.