Jeep First Year

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Spring Perches

I am working on the beginnings of Spring Over Axle SOA for my Jeep. To date I have accomplished the following:


I ground the sway bar, shock, and Spring Under Axle SUA perches off.

I have loosely placed the axles under their respective locations.

I have acquired and installed the YJ springs in the rear.

Have almost completed the two rear spring perches. I was able to make good arcs using my drill mill (at 100 rpm) and an angle grinder with a cutting wheel (because hole saws aren't deep enough to cut all the way through). I need to get a smaller hole saw for the front mounts.

Testing the fit.

All that remains is some grinding for the surfaces to be welded, cutting the 45 deg angles on the spring perch, and drilling the center hole.

I have to acquire some 3/8" plate so I can make shackles and the U-bolt plates. Progress is slow as time, materials, and money are all limiting factors at this point.