Jeep First Year

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Let the Sparks Fly

So I have stripped the body down to nothing, minus the fender flares, the bottom side armor, and the right turn signal. My current phase of the project is doing the welding for the roll cage.

Here is the list of tasks to be completed:

-Remove remaining body stuff as mentioned above.
-Remove the fuel tank.

-Fabricate and weld:
-front roll cage mounts
-rear roll cage mounts
-mid body mounts
-lower seat belt mounts to frame
-rear seat/belt tie into frame
-upper seat belt mounts
-clutch bracket
-straighten back left roll cage mount
-build roll cage mount bushings

So here is a picture of the front of the jeep

Side view without nasty seats

Side view with nasty seats.

Firewall

Rear of jeep

Checking body straightness

I installed a 20amp outlet in my garage with its own breaker, because my dry runs with my welder kept blowing the breaker. I have also noticed improvement in my air compressor and chop saw. Funny story about the breaker. I have this super-long (like 18") 1/4" drill bit that I use for snaking wires and drilling through walls. Anyways I was drilling a hole through an empty port in my breaker box directly through my house and into the garage. I wasn't exactly sure where is was going to come through, but I figured I'd punch through and then pull out and then go find the hole. So I dilled and then it kinda blew through and then started drilling again. Then is blew through that and started drilling again. I figured that I drilled through some kind of insulation or styrofoam or whatever. So I pulled and and the bit was covered in fluid! It was covered in oil! I ran into the garage and I drilled through my oil crate and into a perfect quart of mobil1 7500 motor oil (like an $8 quart of oil). Fortunately, I was able to salvage some of it and did not drill through any others that were lined up next to it. I guess I did not get shocked and now I have an awesome power source in the garage.

The new power source in the garage.

And here is the sacrifice that was made.

Tonight I was testing out my chop saw to see if it could handle the fierce cutting that it has ahead of it. It passed the tests, so I think welding is in my agenda for the weekend. I have also noticed improved performance of it on the 20 amp circuit.