Jeep First Year

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Chimney Rock

Today I took the jeep on a very intense mission. I do not know if it was really ready for today, but I figured to go ahead and go for it. I woke up around 9:00 drove to my shop, installed the roll cage and seat belt, secured a couple miscellaneous things and headed off. On my way I bought some extra oil, antifreeze, and power steering fluid. I added 12 gallons of gas and hit the trail.

I was driving up to chimney rock to meet up with a friend. I think my tires were too stiff or something because on the way up I was being vibrated like crazy from the bumps. I lost pretty much every nut that fastened the body and roll cage to the frame (lock washers did not help). I will probably use a nylon lock nut on all those fasteners from now on. I curse that road. It was making me so pissed I had to pull over and take a break. Also my windshield was flopping back and forth smashing into the front of the roll cage which was getting me more upset than anything else. I think once I get all the vibration stuff taken care of and the right tire pressure things will be a bit nicer.

On climbs I definitely preferred 4 LOW since I had to carry too much speed in 4 HIGH, as a result I would get slammed around.

This is all I had for a map, picture on my camera.


This is me about a mile in trying to figure out what the deal is with the road!


Here I am at the destination, decided to crawl up a boulder a bit.

That is the famous chimney rock.

Me, totally dusty, my mouth is still gritty.

I should've kept driving up the rock, but I wasn't too excited about my emergency brake.




All and all it was a good learning experience insofar as to what the major issues are that need to be addressed before the jeep is passenger safe.

I probably won't be doing this again until I work out the major issues with the vibration.