Jeep First Year

Monday, July 13, 2009

See you later, AlliGator Guard

So today I finally did the gator guard, the last major hurdle left before I paint (besides a gratuitous amount of sanding/dust creation).

If you look at the prior post, I sanded the whole inside of the body with 80 grit sandpaper. I then washed it out with dawn and then rubbed it down with wax/grease/silicone remover. Next, I masked off some of the areas I didn't want to get and I even covered up the other side of every single bolt hole in the body.

I then re-rubbed the inside down with the wax/grease remover and then tack clothed the body. Finally I got to mixing the material by hand. Oh and I set the regulator on my air compressor to 65 psi and i was using a 3/8" 50 ft rubber hose (for those of you looking into doing this). It was kinda hot in my garage and I did not wait the 10 minutes after the 10 minutes of mixing. It too me about 15 minutes to spray including the two refills, and the scavenging i had to do.

I wore a respirator, gloves, and coveralls that guard against isocyanates. I did not wear a head sock because i did not get one from the paint shop. I will definitely recommend wearing a head sock.

I finished spraying around 11:00 and when I got home around 9:30 the material was already very hard to the touch.

Stuff that went well:
Material hardened up
mixing was a paint, but it turned out ok
pot life went well
gun
texture looks awesome

Stuff that went poorly:
barely enough material, could've used like 5 more squirts
masking tape doesn't come off easy
lots of overspray on body (not a big deal since i will sand it all off, but would be terrible if done to a new paint job

On to the photos:

The materials:

Safety first:

The shutz undercoating gun

Before

After

Texture

More texture

More texture