Jeep First Year

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Even More Engine Assembly!

Today I spent even more time assembling the engine. Believe it or not, but the biggest challenge was making the spark plug cables. I suppose I did not have the correct crimper for the 8.8mm spark plug cable anyways. You don't even want to know what kind of weird lubricants I had to use to get the spark plug boot to slide on the cable. Let's just say it got kinda hot.

I installed the alternator/fan belt and torqued down some bolts that were overdue for a good torquing. When I installed the hoses I put a ring of silicone on the inside of the hose for maximum sealing power. I also degreased the oil pan today and went under the jeep and took a shower under old gasket sealant, cork, and grease. I now have a pretty fair amount of toxic water and have no clue where to put it. My plan for now is to let it evaporate. I also bottled up all my waste oils to date. I also went over a bunch of bolts with never-seize compound, like the header bolts, some bolts exposed to water, and some bolts that go into the block.

So what do I have left to do on the engine? I have to install the power steering system. I have to rebuild the carburetor. I have to reinstall the oil pan and gaskets. I also have to re-do the oil pump. I bought a rebuild kit and the previous owner left a note to himself on his rebuild "Replace oil filter gasket" I am guessing he meant the gasket on the oil filter housing which is the oil pump housing. So While I am replacing that gasket, I might as well slap new gears, springs and plungers in there.

Once the engine is complete, I will then remove the fuel tank and start my welding. I've decided I will put the tub back on the jeep so I can accurately place my spot welds. I will also weld up the clutch bracket, nerfbars/rocksliders and seat/seatbelt ties into the frame. Once all the fitting is complete, I will remove the tub and start on the heavy welding. I will also weld up brackets for the exhaust and other things.

Once the welding is complete, I will then do a thorough painting of the frame and its components: springs, axles, fuel tank, power steering, driveshafts, transmission, brakes, drums, etc. I already have 4 cans of flat black Rustoleum paint lined up. Once that is complete, I will then entirely cover the frame and engine in plastic and start the body paint prep. I hope to start the body painting sometime in early April. So technically I only have two weeks/ three weekends to do all the welding, frame painting, and exhaust fabrication.

Oh, I am also looking for new seats and seatbelts, If you run across any black vinyl, leather, pleather seats let me know.

Installed plug wires:


Plug wires all having about 10kohm resistance, guess I did something right.

It gets pretty bust by the distributor.

Look at the new coil, beautiful yellow coil.

New radiator hoses installed.

New blue silicone heater hoses installed.

These hoses are the best.

Left header is finally installed.

The radiator has been flushed out, degreased, and is currently waiting for some stripper and a can of spray paint--sounds like a wild night.

The oil pan cleaned up.

Installed copper washer for oil plug.

I think I will paint the oil pan flat black. I might paint it blue too, well see.

Another funny thing I forgot to mention: I had no clue as to how or where these brackets went (that's what too many wild nights of paint fumes and strippers will do to you). Anywho, I was able to use my very large library of pictures to tell me exactly where each bracket went and in what orientation.

Before (note where the brackets are for the alternator):

After (Check out those rad flat black brackets):

Flex-a-lite's fan spacer didn't allow for the longer water pump shaft, so I had to inject a total of eight washers between the fan puller and spacer. Very jeepy of me.