Jeep First Year

Monday, March 23, 2009

Nursery Jelly

Nursery Jelly? WTF! Yeah, nursery jelly. I rebuilt the oil pump and the jeep technical manual recommends you pack a ton of nursery jelly into the oil pump housing to ensure that it gets primed. If it doesn't get primed that is a scary thought.

I removed the oil pump housing, soaked it it degreaser, powerwashed it, soaked it in hot Dawn water and scrubbed away. I then dried it with a blowgun, painted it, and baked it. I then installed the new oil pressure relief spring and plunger. I then went to Fry's to buy a container of Nursery Jelly, I bought the off brand because I am cheap and am still struggling to keep my impossible budget. Don't worry, I'll crack soon enough and drop some serious dough into the rig. Anyways, back to the scooping gratuitous amounts of baby-smelling goo into my precious engine. So I scooped gratuitous amounts of this stuff into the oil pump housing and then inserted the pump gear and the idler gear. I then packed in more nursery jelly so it would be flush with the mating surface. I prepped the gasket and surfaces with RTV. I then installed the oil filter housing and tightened the bolts to 55 in lb and called it a day.