Jeep First Year

Friday, March 13, 2009

Oil Pan Removal and Dipstick Installation

Last night I worked on removing the oil pan and replacing the broken dipstick. I laid under the oil pan with my air ratchet and puled the 20ish bolts that were securing it to the block. With each bolt I removed, I took a small grease/dirt glob shower. Fortunately, I had the foresight to wear goggles while I was wallowing under the engine. The pan was removed without much incident , except for a hidden bolt that I overlooked.

As per the title of this entry I also installed the new dipstick. I was able to remove the old one by simply hammering it towards the oil pan. After three to four blows it fell out through the bottom of the engine and clanked on the floor. I had the new dipstick sitting in the freezer so that the metal would be contracted. I took it out, put some RTV on it and then put it in and it worked like a dream. Wrong! It would not just slide in so I got a hammer and a punch. After two to three soft taps, the flange on the dipstick sheared off. After feeling a little sick over damaging my new part, I then busted out some 400 grit sandpaper to polish up the two enlarged rings below the flange that goes flush with the block. All the sandpapering in the world didn't matter so I had to bust out the dremel. So I dremeled the rings down a substantial amount and then I took the dipstick and put it in a glass of ice water and let it sit for a while. While the dipstick tube was contracting, I applied a generous amount of RTV to the hole it was to go it. In one motion I pulled out the tube, dried it off, then stuck it in the hole. The tube went in past the first ring so I decided to hammer it in the rest of the way using the same technique. This time I gave it a few taps on either side and it was then flush with the block. Success!

I recently got a new tool for my garage. It is some dickies coveralls, they should allow me to work on the jeep when I please.


Today I will srub the pan inside and out and start the painting process and will clean us the gasket surfaces.

These are the painted and baked brackets for the alternator and water pump.

Here is the new dipstick, no I did not get the skull.

Oh, I also did a mock-up of my new plug wires.

Inside of the oil pan.

Where the dipstick was installed.

This is staring up at the oil pan. You can see the crank and the connecting rods. The circle is the oil pump's inlet.

More connecting rod

New plug wires.

Current engine picture.

My new tool in the garage.