Jeep First Year

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Da Plan

So here is a quick photo tour of what I plan to do real soon.

This is the T18-1E meaning it is an earlier T18 from a Ford truck. Note the PTO port cover on the side. I will be using the T18 to Dana 20 Novak conversion/rebuilt kit from www.novak.com

While I have the transmissions torn out, I will also replace the clutch disk and bearing.

Right now I have the rear axle bolted up with mock-up U-bolts. I am waiting until the front axle is taken care of (have to outboard spring hangars, build new perches/remove old perches). Once this is done, I can weight the jeep onto the axles and start measuring for drive line angle before I make my welds for the perches. I am looking at the CV drive shafts that are by Adam's Driveline on e-bay. Hopefully I can finish this welding/fab this weekend and can order my new U-bolts soon. Once angles are set and axles are tacked up they will be removed and sent to a local shop for a regear with 4.88 or 4.56 gears and an ARB air locker in the rear.

From my previous post, you can see the front axle with 1978 FSJ knuckles removed. I am keeping the draglink and tie rod so I can set up an inverted T type high steer setup. I will attempt to recycle this steering arm as it already has the right size of TREs and such for most flat top steering arms. .

A new front cross member, winch mount plate and other fabrication will occur up front to accommodate and complement the out boarded front springs.

I have a little bit of wiring left to do. Gauges light, fix the fuel sending unit, build a mount for the tachometer. I am going to work these bugs out in between the budgetary slumps.

And amidst the above, I'll be working my on board air (OBA) system also.

In summary we are looking at the following stats:

T18 to dana 20 adapter

T18 rebuild

new clutch

4.56 gears (4.88 if I decide to go 38")

ARB locker in rear

SOA with yj springs

new shocks

new CV driveshafts

new brake system

flat top knuckles 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern

inverted T high steer setup

35" (or 38") tires

adapters for rear

dana 44 in front

trussed ford 8.8 with locker in rear

My new crawl ratio = 6.32*2.01*4.88 = 62:1