Jeep First Year

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Outboarded Spring Hangers V

So I have been waking up early on the weekends to bust out some of this fabrication. I have fallen into the habit of having pre-fabrication coffee.


I was about to sip some coffee, but apparently even the face shield protects me from a caffeine injection. Here is a re-enactment.

Here are some other plates being added to the front spring hanger for the SRS.

I added the extra plate so I could tie this into the stock mounting positions. This plate will slide between the steering mount bracket and the frame.

Here are some of my welds. I won't show you some of the ones that I made after like an hour after 4 cups of coffee and no breakfast :D. I also changed the shade and shade guard in my welding helmet. NIGHT AND DAY! I could now see he puddle instead of the orange haze I was seeing with my arc-welding shade. I am very excited about my new lighter shade!

I Used 3x5 box tubing, 3.5x5 would've been ideal as the interior of the tubing measures 3" + the two 1/4" walls. I am going to run YJ springs which are 2.5" with about 1/2" of bushings. At any rate, I had to chop them and put on some new flanges.

I had to add the flanges, used the box tubing cutoff to square them up.

My technique for marking holes once I got the SRS system mounted in place.

I used flat black paint and the scribe to do the above the markings.

Here are some beauty shots. I also am showing it next to the warrior bracket.

I will be mounting this up with 5/8" gr 8 bolts, I still need to add gussets. I will add the gussets tonight and paint the angles. Next, I need to come up with some kind of shiny sticker to add to my SRS sytem so it looks legitimate.

I ordered my tires, wheel adapters, and shackle bushings. I am not going to build the rear members until I get the shackle bushings so I can know what size of DOM (inner dia) and hole saw (outer diam) I will need. I will then build up 4 plates to pull this together. My current concern is that I might have to remove the headers and brake lines to grind off the old SRS brakets...stay tuned.