Jeep First Year

Friday, March 12, 2010

Outboarded Spring Hangers

So I have a design nailed down for the front part of the outboarded springs. I will take a 3"x3" piece of angle iron and it will bolt up over my winch plates. There will be three gussets distributing the load between the bolts. Then to the bottom of the angle iron (flush with frame channels), I will bolt a piece of 1/4" wall 5"x3" rectangular tubing that is cut into the shape you see below. A 1/4" wall 2"x2" piece of square tubing will serve as a cross member for the whole affair. I may even put plates on the cross member tying it into the stock front shackle locations+steering braket. I should be able to fab up the whole assembly for a few bucks (I already have most of the steel).

This is the old shackle reversal system installed.

Here are some reference measurements from it.

Note the winch plates that will be under the new outboarded assembly. These are tied to the frame with 5/8" grade 8 hardware.