Jeep First Year

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Flat top knuckles

Here are my "new" flat-top knuckles off of an 80s dodge w150. I will be sandblasting them, removing ball joints, and sending them off to John Nutter for machining. Once I get them back I will paint them and then install new ball joints, studs, arms, cone washers, and nuts.

Caliper, mounting bracket, and splash guard. I can get a pair of calipers for $56 loaded with brake pads, so I will just be picking up new calipers, At least these cover the expensive core charge.

Spindle nuts and caliper mounting bolts.

My warn hubs to top off the whole setup.

Here is the spindle mounted on the knuckle and the hub/rotor assembled on the whole knuckle. I will run these dodge knuckles knuckles out.

This is my york 210 air compressor placed where I plan on mounting it. I will be building the bracket for this pretty soon. I have figured out where I am going to tie it into the engine. I have also dug up all the parts that I will need to set up my OBA. I will be using Grainger for most of the parts and the local hose shop for plumbing/fittings. I still have to scare up a set of flanges for the compressor instead of the rotolock ones. If I had access to a lathe I could make my o-ring crush surface and then do the rest of the milling/tapping in my shop. Also there are different kinds of York air compressors with three different output specifications. Usually there will be a stamped aluminium plate indicating the SCFM of the air compressor. Mine did not have such a plate, but it had a little sticker on it that seemed to have some information on it. This sticker was covered with grease and I tried rubbing some of the grease off with my nitrile glove, but I just kept smearing it around. Eager to investigate what kind of air compressor I would be working with, I shot the sticker with carb cleaner and to my surprise all the grease was removed, along with the letters I was trying to make out! All is not lost. You can determine what output your compressor is if you remove the pulley and investigate the taper on the end of the shaft. There are plenty of sites that cover this. If you look below on the compressor you can see a shiny, blank sticker as proof of this incident. My plans with this compressor are to spray it with like 10 cans of carb cleaner and then do an oil change on it. I'll probably paint it orange or something crazy.

I will also have to find a different bend of radiator hose. The compressor will be on the fan, alternator compressor belt loop.