Jeep First Year

Monday, February 16, 2009

After this you will go check the coolant in your car!

Corrosion in the intake manifold

more of the same

another engine glamour shot

engine right side

front of engine, no fan, alternator or water pump

fan alternator and pump pulley

hey i can't remember where EVERY bolt goes I at least need a rough idea

left side of engine

front of engine

looking into the water pump send

note the fine scaling, but lack of severe pitting

more fine scaling, but no severe pitting in the engine

more of the same

more scaling, but nothing serious in the actual block

apparently the water pump was the source of all the rust pieces

water pump detail

can you find a comb, bolt, hairdryer, soda, and thermostat in the following picture?

more of the same

wtf


This is interesting, the thermostat housing is made of a material that sacrifices itself to the corrosive properties of the water (like an anode in a hot water heater).

more of the sacrificial car part

ugh, another shot

Last night I stripped the engine down a bit and got to the water pump. I encountered a ton of scaly rust and spent my entire day fretting about it. I called my dad, Greg, talked to Bailey, looked around the internet for information, looked to see how much a new block, intake, heads, etc cost. Anyways, I found that all that can be very expensive! So look at the pictures and you will see my horror unfold before your eyes.

After work, I went and bought a new water pump at Checker (I'll update the budget later you misers). I asked Jim (the guy I usually work with) about the corrosion. He said that "The AMC 304 V8 is a bulletproof engine, you can put marbles down into the pistons and it'll shit them out the exhaust." To which I was like hell yeah.

All in all, the block seems to be in great condition, just the thermostat housing and water pump kicked the bucket.

Whew!

Tomorrow I will be pressure washing, swimming in the community pool, and steel shopping in that order.