Jeep First Year

Sunday, February 15, 2009

First Schedule Slip

Water Sludge and mechanical fuel pump cavity

More grease, water sludge, fuel cavity

Stripped engine

Stripped engine front

Stripped engine side

Stripped engine top

Stripped engine top

Engine from the rear

distributor cap and wires

bird nest

rollcage and tub

tranmission and transfer case

dana 300, way dirty

transmission

more transmission

clutch housing

engine front

front view of jeep

tub and cage


Today Greg and I removed the tub from the frame. We nearly broke both our backs trying to wrestle the thing around. Anyways, we got the tub off an put it in my garage. Currently the tub is holding the rollage and a handful of parts. I am focusing on the engine and chassis as per the schedule right now.

As far as the schedule, I have already slipped. I have not completed the welding because I was unable to obtain the steel that I need over the weekend. I included the schematics of the rollcage tie ins in my last post. I will also be welding in the mid-body mounts.

Today I accomplished the following:
Built welder extension chord.
Removed tub from frame
Stripped engine down to core components
Created hand drawn wiring and vacuum diagrams
Found a lot of scary sludgey rust in the cooling system

I took a lot of pictures of just the frame and chassis.

This week I have the welding, and chassis/engine painting to catch up with. I will also be fixing the poppet balls in the shift lever housing and just general all-around degreasing.
Once all this is done, I will dump fluids in the transmission/transfer case/differentials.

I included picture of the rust bomb of an engine.