Jeep First Year

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Broken Dipstick Housing

So while I was painting, cleaning, and pressure washing, I was bending the dipstick back and forth because it kept getting in the way. I then needed to lay down some paint on the backside of the tube. I bent it back and *snap*. The hosing of the dipstick broke off flush with the block. After letting out a stream of obscenities, I decided to leave it for the next day. I was hoping I could extract it via using an easy out. I was able to get an easy-out into the remaining housing and got it to turn (it is a press fit, so it needs to be pulled out). I then decided I needed a way to pull it out. I tried a hammer and chisel to bend in a tab and tried pulling on the tab. No luck. No luck. NO LUCK.

I have decided to quit screwing around and just drop the oil pan (very easy to do at this point+"free" oil change). I bought a new gasket for the oil pan and a gratuitous amount of super black RTV. I am going to drop the pan and then drill out/extract the dipstick housing from within.

Anyways, looks like we are setup to get a new dipstick which has a skull handle or something:


I am waiting for the motor mounts to come before I can do this though. I do not want the engine to drop on me while I am taking an oil shower.

I received the fan and spacers I will be putting on the jeep, very exciting!

Hopefully the motor mounts will come before the weekend and I can spend the weekend finishing up the engine cleaning/ painting/ assembly process.

Apparently some gunk was left behind the dipstick area, it had some kind of flange protecting that crud. This is after easy-outing and chiseling and getting pissed off.

Intake top view

engine back view

engine right side

engine front right